Friday, July 30, 2010

Entertaining Legal Opinions

Following up on my earlier praise for Judge Kozinski's writing style, Google's Scholar Blog has a most excellent post advertising its ability to search Court cases in the U.S. (a feature I periodically use, and have found very handy and efficient).

Specifically, Google highlights a number of cases over the years (which, of course, you can find in Google's scholar database) containing entertaining judicial writing. Well worth a read. I think my favorite (quoted only in part) is the following interaction:
Lawyer: Juan, I have good news and bad news.
Ramirez-Lopez: OK, I'm ready. Give me the bad news first.
Lawyer: The bad news is that the Ninth Circuit affirmed your conviction and you're going to spend many years in federal prison.
Ramirez-Lopez: Oh, man, that's terrible. I'm so disappointed. But you said 1160*1160there's good news too, right?
Lawyer: Yes, excellent news! I'm very excited.
Ramirez-Lopez: OK, I'm ready for some good news, let me have it.
Lawyer: Well, here it goes: You'll be happy to know that you had a perfect trial. They got you fair and square!
The rest of that exchange is here.

No comments:

Post a Comment